Sunday 27 July 2014

Prague | Romantic Heights

Our final stop on our three week trip around Europe was Prague. Now I know this may sound cliché but I am going to say it anyway - we really did save the best until last. However much I fell in love with Paris, Prague literally stole my heart. I expected a lot of good things from this enchanting city but I wasn't expecting to find all what I did. 

We arrived after another lengthy journey from Munich to find that the sun was shining and our hostel not too far away from all the hustle and bustle of the city. Again we jumped on the metro from the train station which took us all of five minutes, if that. Yes it seems that they have metros everywhere in Europe which is handy when you're feeling too lazy to walk or in our case - exhausted from all the travelling! After arriving at our hostel which was the worst out of a good bunch, we went out in search of some food. Of course we weren't complaining (well I wasn't). For just nine euros what did we expect really. This was the cheapest hostel and therefore it was bound to be the least cleanliest. 

This will be the last time I say it but evidently we were starving! Who would have thought that train journeys could make you so hungry? After a quick shower and change we took a walk along the riverside and came across a crowded but quirky looking pub/restaurant which my friend was adamant we went inside. I trusted her instincts after some terrible restaurant choices on my part and we weren't disappointed. As you can see below, we over ordered massively but the food was so cheap! Despite the bill I think our meals only came to over £15 each and that was with a bottle of wine and a whole basket full loaded with potato chips and dips (see below). I am drooling at the thought...

The cost of our meals
My main meal - Mexican chicken and veg
Where can I purchase this in the UK?

You could say we made a meal of it and after a few hours of chatting, drinking and eating we decided to take a walk further down the river to see what we could find. Unfortunately we only had a day in Prague so planning our time was pretty crucial if we wanted to get everything done. One of the things that shocked me most about this romantic city was the amount of things to do. There is so much to see here - bars, restaurants, river cruises, the magnificent castle and course lots of little shops for all us tourists to enjoy. It's so much more beautiful at night, especially if you are with your other half I imagine. We saw so many couples hand in hand walking along the Charles Bridge which made me slightly envious I must say. However just experiencing this with your best friend was very special too. Taking in all that Prague has to offer as we walked across the famous Charles bridge which brings in thousands of tourists each year - I could have stayed there all night.

After a few more hours of exploring and a rather awkward encounter with a stripper bar (these are known as music bars in Prague ladies) we ended up walking back to our hostel for some well deserved kip. Surprisingly Prague wasn't as busy as I thought it would have been. I expected to see a lot more drunken stags rolling across the floor but this only allowed us to appreciate its real beauty even more.

Quick selfie before we headed out

Such a pretty sight
We were up bright and early the next day and decided to jump on one of the walking tours which took us all round Prague free of charge! What seemed like a great deal  at first after a few hours was mind draining. It was so hot and all I wanted was a sit down but at least we knew where everything was by the end of it so we could explore at our leisure. You couldn't fault the efforts of our fantastic tour guide either who lived off tips solely - these were surely rewarded. Another thing I was oblivious too before I visited Prague was its in depth history - it truly is fascinating. I think I learnt more in those three hours than I did on the entire trip! Not only did we get to explore the old town which was famous for its remarkable astronomical clock and heaps of history, we also got to explore the new town, the more modern part of Prague you could say. After the tour had finished we grabbed a quick drink in the square and headed up to the Prague castle on the metro which again allowed us to capture some spectacular views of the whole city. The Prague castle which was located at the highest point of Prague was utterly stunning. I had never visited a castle before this so it was a totally new experience for me. Even though we didn't pay to go inside we got to explore the beautiful surrounding gardens and views from above. I thoroughly enjoyed this day and couldn't have been happier as I sat overlooking Prague with a cup of tea in one hand and my camera in the other.

Casual shot overlooking the river the following day
So beautiful
Old market square
The famous clock tower

The view from the castle grounds
After a long day of walking we decided to head out for some dinner and a few drinks at our favourite pub again to finish off the evening. This for me had been one of the best days of the entire trip and I was so sad at the thought of travelling back to Paris the next morning to catch our early flight to England the following day. Not another train she screams! 

I really can't wait to come back here in the near future. Maybe next time I will be hand in hand with someone - who knows. But for now thank you Prague for being so utterly beautiful and thank you all for reading. I hope you enjoyed this journey as much as I did and sorry for the time it has taken me to upload all these posts! I didn't realise how much I would have to say and how many photos I had to get through.



5 comments:

  1. Ive heard so many great things about Prague, and you've just upped my want to go there so much with this post, such a beautiful city <3 Great blog, keep it up

    I've also nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award, check it out lovely xx

    http://beautyoutlookxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah it is amazing - you have to go!!!! Thank you hun, that's so nice to hear :) what is this award I have been nominated for? Never heard of it... don't know where I have been hiding haha! Thank you though I will check it out. Love your blog too btw!!! Where is the follow button?

      lmatkins.blogspot.co.uk

      xx

      Delete
  2. Love the photographs! I've never been to Prague before but it looks lovely :) hope you had a great time!

    www.violetdaffodils.blogspot.co.uk
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're gorgeous! Lovely photographs, makes me so excited to go Inter-railing next year! x

    becschle.blogspot.co.uk xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you!!! So are you :) and it is truly amazing - you will love it!!!!!!!

      xxxx

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a little message! I really appreciate all your kind comments :)

 

Blog Design by Bonjour Belle Designs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...