Friday 26 December 2014

Exploring Dublin

So last weekend I embarked on a spontaneous trip to Dublin with two of my best girl friends - a well deserved break if I say so myself! After grabbing ourselves a bargain return flight for just £36, we couldn't wait to explore this marvellous city. I have always wanted to visit Ireland - and even though this wasn't a true representation of all that Ireland had to offer - it still beats staying in the Midlands! Everything, from the strong Irish accent, to the sweet Guinness stew and numerous street performers dotted about the cobbled streets made this the perfect little getaway before Christmas. 

Now I would be lying if I said Dublin exceeded my expectations - it didn't. But what it did do was make me a whole lot more grateful for the prices of amenities back in the UK (just kidding). It was awfully pricey though, which a lot of people had warned me about beforehand. For some reason I had also envisaged the city to look a lot older that it did, and feel somewhat more Irish (if that's possible). However, it was clear from the moment that we stepped foot into this city that it was a thriving one; one that welcomed tourists and their wallets! Saying this, the night-life was brilliant (more on this later). There were lots of little Irish pubs and bars to check out around the Temple Bar area, which again were a haven for tourists like myself. $7 for half a cider - they must think we are all from London!

After arriving at our hostel, we dropped off our bags and headed straight out in search of the Guinness Factory. Prior to this trip, I had heard very mixed reviews about this place, and I can't say I was overly impressed as I walked around the first floor after handing over 18 euros. However, after reaching the fourth floor and getting the chance to not only pour - but enjoy my own pint overlooking Ireland on the eighth floor - I was happy I went along after all. Now a certified member of the Guinness academy - I can go to sleep knowing I have achieved something with my life...

                 


                  

                   

After a quick pint of Guinness (or in my case - a swig) we headed back to the hostel for a quick nap. By this time we were starving and ready for some grub. However, we had not prepared ourselves for how cold it was that evening. First off, we decided to walk, which was brave in itself, but the sheer lack of clothing we had decided to go out proved to be an awful idea. By this time - it was too late to turn back. In a desperate bid to find the famous Temple Bar we got out our crumpled map and hoped for the best. Luckily we came across this little beauty - The Hard Rock Cafe where food was promised, and lots of it! Luckily we managed to grab a table fairly quickly and dig in to our delicious burgers. I have always loved Hard Rock cafĂ©'s and can now say I have dined at one too. After we had filled ourselves up to the brim, we decided to do what every Irish (and English person for that matter) loves to do - get merry. It is the season after all! Live music, cheesy music, Irish music - this place seemed to have it all. I had a brilliant night mingling with the locals and getting my groove on...




The next day, we decided to check out more of the city, including the many shops (of course). After a fairly early wake up call, we started by heading down to the renowned Christ Church which was stunning. As if the Church wasn't enough, it even had its own little Christmas Market in the crypt which I fell in love with, and live music from the church orchestra. I could have sat there all day listening to that. After this we headed down to Dublin Castle, which again I was very impressed by - it was beautiful inside. Luckily it wasn't too busy so we got time to stroll around at our own leisure. After a quick bite to eat - Guinness stew in my case, we then headed to the shops - where the real magic happens. I didn't realise how big this city actually was - it' s only until you start really exploring it and all its little backstreet's that you realise how wonderful it truly is. Of course the shops were rammed with those last minute Christmas shoppers but this didn't phase us. I think we could have easily spent half the day browsing around Penneys (the Irish version of Primark).

Exploring the city








Lunch is served
After we were all shopped out, it was time to head back to the hostel. I couldn't wait to rest my poor feet after walking around in heels all day - bad choice Atkins! By which time, it was time to get ready all over again for our last night in Dublin. Once more, we decided to take a leisurely stroll into the town (this time in warmer attire) grabbing a quick bite to eat and few drinks along the way. This was the perfect end to our little break. And there you have it - Dublin in a nutshell. Would I go back - yes! This is such a great city and so easy to get to from the UK.



2 comments:

  1. How cool! Sounds like a great trip. I really want to go to Ireland one day!

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun! I would definitely go back, but maybe to one of the more rural parts to really experience the Irish culture. xxx

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a little message! I really appreciate all your kind comments :)

 

Blog Design by Bonjour Belle Designs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...